Open Beacon Video Comments for WordPress
is an intuitive and easy to use plugin that enables video-based comments for posts on WordPress sites. It serves as an alternative to generic text-based comments. Not only is it easy to setup and easy to use, it taps into the visual way in which humans naturally interact; as a result, the experience of using OB Video Comments is very compelling and engaging.
In the same way as text-based comments, visitors can easy view other people’s comments in response to an article or upload their own comments as well.
NEW v1.0.3 FEATURES!
- FFmpeg support to compress and convert MOV, 3GP and FLV to MP4 format and create snapshots the said videos
- Adjustable FFmpeg conversion speed and compression quality inputs
- Automatic FFmpeg detection. If not detected, the input path can be entered easily
- Automatic detection of maximum file size php.ini settings
- HTML5 video comment playback
- Comment list to go directly to the video comment you want without having to scroll through with the navigation buttons
- Direct URL for every video comment currently being displayed
- Download button for video comment currently being displayed
Open Beacon Video Comments for WordPress only works for WordPress 3.6 and later versions.
- Scroll through comments using Ajax or generic HTML requests
- Allow direct playback and downloading of video comments by other users/visitors
- Has a straightforward back-end that allows viewing and editing of video comments; there is also a settings page to modify the presentation of video comments on the front-end widget
- The plugin is presented on the front-end as a widget so that means that it can comfortably placed on any sidebar that the admin deems appropriate
- The plugin is also responsive and as such appears perfectly on phone, tablet or computer
How it works
When installed, the plugin presents backend (dashboard) and front-end functionality. The front-end is a widget that can be placed on any bar but preferably on the left or right sidebar, adjacent to a post on a “single page”. This widget gives users the ability to view video comments and create some of their own. The backend has a settings page through which the functionality of the widget can be adjusted and also a video comment list through which video comments and their metadata can be viewed, edited and deleted.
Intuitive installation and functionality
Installation of the plugin is a straightforward affair: activate the “Open Beacon Video Comments” plugin and then go to Appearance -> Widgets and place the “OB Video Comments” widget on the sidebar of your choosing. That is it, you are done with installation. Visitors/users can then upload video comments, accompanying thumbnails and captions in response to a post they have read.
The thinking behind OB Video Comments
Zeitgeist – the world’s inundation with video is the quintessential spirit of our time. Video seems to be readily available on all platforms and seems to be taking over as the primary way of communicating and will probably be used extensively in record-keeping as well; because of this growing trend, we found it fitting to start offering comments in video format.
People are visual/spacial – the human race is primarily visual/spacial both in learning and creating. As such, video comments seem to be the most natural way to offer commentary.
Countering the growing “mean comments” trend caused by anonymity – anonymity gives normal and good people the leeway to make shocking, cruel and sometimes bizarre statements without putting a face to the words. We believe OB Video Comments can curb this tragic trend and encourage people to interact in a clearer and less hostile way.
Ubiquitous camera on computers, phones and tablets – cameras on computers, tablets and phones have become so commonplace, it is impossible to imagine a world when it was not so. This availability of cameras and video demands new and more interesting ways for people to interact.
The demo video does not show the URL feature that is now available with v1.0.2.